Quantcast

Strategy Wiki Affiliate suggestion

Strategy Wiki Affiliate suggestion

Postby Axiomist » Sat May 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Firstly I feel I need to introduce WiKirby, you can see it here. We're a rather new wiki dedicated to the Kirby franchise. We're veteran wiki creators from Bulbapedia, Mario Wiki.com, and Zelda Wiki.org. I recently stepped aside from my admin position at Zelda Wiki.org to focus on WiKirby and bring it to the same great standards we've achieved at Zelda Wiki. So this wiki is budding now, but with the very experienced staff and support of the wikis we have, we're in apt position to endure as a project.

Lately in the main page discussion, a few users have been mentioning a desire to create walkthroughs and video walkthroughs for Kirby games. Strategy Wiki's guides are by no means complete. Having been an admin of Zelda Wiki for so long, I'm familiar with The Partnerships Hub and do humbly request consideration for the Kirby fandom. I haven't responded to the requests for permission to create walkthroughs on WiKirby yet, because I'm certain a partnership with a dedicated independent wiki would be in the best interests for all parties.

(This post is following the suggestion to recommend other wikis via a forum post. The intended reader is obviously those who can decide on the matter.)
Axiomist

Re: Strategy Wiki Affiliate suggestion

Postby Skizzerz » Sat May 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Hey, thanks for the offer. I'll pass this along to the relevant people so you should see some more replies soon-ish. If anyone from either party would like to discuss this, they may feel free to post a reply here as well.
Dunno what to put here...
Skizzerz
Administrator

Postby Procyon » Sat May 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi Axiomist. Glad to see you and your capable crew are developing another wiki. Since we have had such a good working relationship with your former teams in the past, I see no reason why we wouldn't like to partner up with you. I will begin making some of the preparations on our side, and keep you informed of the progress. Thanks very much for considering us and contacting us!
Procyon
Administrator

Postby prod » Sat May 29, 2010 6:50 pm

This sounds like a good idea. What kinds of pages would we link to on your side?
prod
Administrator

Postby Axiomist » Sun May 30, 2010 12:34 am

Well, I'm aware of how the Zelda Wiki Affiliation works, in that only game articles are linked to. We could do that to start with. I think I'm going to add the link to Strategy Wiki in an infobox to every location and subgame when I get much more free time. So when we have an article on Location X, we'll document things about the area and link to the walkthrough on the area.

I've just this minute informed the others. I have been wondering for awhile now if you guys have a smaller logo, or affiliation banner. When I made this page, here We didn't know what to use, so someone used a scaled down version of the textual logo.

Lastly, I've informed the WiKirby members that I'm going to encourage them to bring any images, videos, etc that come to our disposal to Strategy Wiki as well. I have a capture card and GCN GB player, as soon as I'm done painting this room, I'll be capturing playthroughs. I'd like my work to get a maximum bang by being used on both sites :P

I'll be back online in the morning. Thanks again for the inclusion! Let me know how we'll do things so I can inform the others and get started.
Axiomist

Postby prod » Sun May 30, 2010 3:39 pm

I have uploaded a new banner to your site which looks significantly better :).
prod
Administrator

Postby Axiomist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

I've been fighting the interwiki linking long enough.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here :P

I took the logo from Zelda Wiki, and I think it looks great in the infobox here. Once we get it working I'll present it to the ZW staff to see about updating their current use of the favicon for the image.
Axiomist

Postby Notmyhandle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:56 pm

See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Gu ... ki_linking to set up the Interwiki prefix if it hasn't already been done.
What say you?
Notmyhandle

Postby Axiomist » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 am

Good news, Adam (fellow staffer at both WiKirby and Zelda Wiki.org) got it working.

It works! That links to the article on the Wii title announced yesterday at E3. Kirby's Epic Yarn. While reading it you'll notice I'm trying to make these articles fun to read to reflect the series lighthearted style by using so many themed words "string of enemies" "suit his needs" "fabric of his being" etc...

Anyway, is there an approval to create links to WiKirby on Strategy Wiki?
Axiomist

Postby Garrett » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Looks great. I have fixed the template so the URL is "escaped" correctly (this is necessary when not using an interwiki prefix).

As for approval I think all that remains is to make an interwiki template along the lines of {{Zeldawiki}} and {{Wikipedia}}, so you will want to organise a suitable image for this box.
Commie Miyamoto not Santa. Japanazis no give presents, only take! This holoday, give Nintendo Brand opium! It love your lungs long time!
Garrett

Postby Axiomist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:40 pm

I have the template (here) created. I figure to now wait until there's an actual link in the interwiki table before going to insert it in the game article pages.
Axiomist

Postby prod » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 pm

I changed it so that it uses hardcoded links until the interwiki is set up.
prod
Administrator

Postby Skizzerz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:44 pm

I've set up the interwikis [[wikirby:]] and [[wk:]], but I'm not sure what icon you want to follow the links. For now, I've copied your favicon, but you can change that by uploading a different image at File:Wikirbylink.png

For StrategyWiki users, the template {{wk}} has been set up to make inline links easier (e.g. {{wk|Pagename}} expands to [[wk:Pagename|Pagename]])

EDIT: haven't update the Partnerships page yet since I'm not sure what to put there. If someone else could do it, that'd be great (prod?)
Dunno what to put here...
Skizzerz
Administrator

Return to Archived Community Issues