Quantcast

Watch Guide Subpages

Watch Guide Subpages

Postby pelago » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi,

Very often, I want to watch all guide subpages, including all talk subpages, on a guide that may be in the process of being constructed. I would also like to see when new subpages are constructed within the guide (often, watching the Table of Contents isn't sufficient, as dead links are created in that subpage weeks or months before the subpages themselves are created).

I know about the useful http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Special:Watchsubpages tool, which is great for selectively picking individual subpages to watch, but doesn't quite cover the use case imagined in the last para. Is there any way to implement a super "automatically watch everything that ever happens in this guide" tool?
pel
pelago

Re: Watch Guide Subpages

Postby Skizzerz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:18 am

not really, since each page in the watchlist has to be added individually, and it'd be nearly impossible to maintain a scalable method of "dynamically" watching entire guides. With the current size of StrategyWiki, we could implement a system that just queries a database every time a guide is changed to see if we should add new pages to users' watchlists, but such a system would continue to be a major performance hit on saving pages (even for users who don't use the feature), especially as StrategyWiki continues to grow in number of edits and editors.
Dunno what to put here...
Skizzerz
Administrator

Re: Watch Guide Subpages

Postby Garrett » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 am

Note that you can individually watch pages that don't exist by using the sidebar link. This isn't ideal, but it's one possibility.
Commie Miyamoto not Santa. Japanazis no give presents, only take! This holoday, give Nintendo Brand opium! It love your lungs long time!
Garrett

Return to Archived Community Issues