Quantcast

Make your suggestions for SW 2.0!

Make your suggestions for SW 2.0!

Postby Procyon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:48 pm

2010 will be the year which we begin development on a new enhanced version of the StrategyWiki you know and love. While we're still in the early design phases, we'd like to get your input on what you would like to see from the new site. Specifically, we want to know:
  • What can we do to make the site better?
  • What can we do to make editing easier?
  • What kinds of features would interest you?
  • What do you like most about SW and what do you like least?
We really want to hear your honest and thoughtful critiques of the site. We can't promise that we'll be able to address all of the issues you raise, or implement all of the features you suggest, but we can promise that we'll try our hardest. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Procyon
Procyon
Administrator

Re: Make your suggestions for SW 2.0!

Postby Notmyhandle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 pm

We can implement the front end WYSIWYG for the editing box, as Wikia and Wikipedia (recently) have done.
What say you?
Notmyhandle

Postby Garrett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:47 pm

The new editor is in a pre-release state; it will become available on StrategyWiki once it is included in the stable releases of MediaWiki.

I have a lot of things I want, but there are also some things I don't want. One of them is bottom-aligned floating nav bars. I hate the one here, and I hate the mockup one too. Hate, hate, hate.
Commie Miyamoto not Santa. Japanazis no give presents, only take! This holoday, give Nintendo Brand opium! It love your lungs long time!
Garrett

Postby Notmyhandle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 am

Garrett, "the one here" as in the one on ABXY?
What say you?
Notmyhandle

Postby Garrett » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:45 am

Yes, I meant ABXY's, sorry.
Commie Miyamoto not Santa. Japanazis no give presents, only take! This holoday, give Nintendo Brand opium! It love your lungs long time!
Garrett

Postby squidbear » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 am

Garrett wrote:I have a lot of things I want, but there are also some things I don't want. One of them is bottom-aligned floating nav bars. I hate the one here, and I hate the mockup one too. Hate, hate, hate.

Just saying you hate something is not very constructive. If you are displeased with something, please explain why you are displeased. Doing so will be extremely helpful.
squidbear
Administrator

Postby Notmyhandle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Garrett: are you talking about the blue box at the bottom of this page that says "Board index, Subscribe topic" etc.? Or the one that follows you as you scroll and says "Announcements" "Users Chatting" etc.?
What say you?
Notmyhandle

Postby Garrett » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Teddy wrote:Just saying you hate something is not very constructive. If you are displeased with something, please explain why you are displeased. Doing so will be extremely helpful.

Sorry about that, I had thought my explanation was sufficient, i.e. that I would prefer a fixed toolbar. I find floating elements to be really distracting (in fact I have hidden ABXY's via Adblock Plus because of this) and I'm probably not the only one. One option would be to allow it to be pinned in a pre-determined location like Slashdot's comments header thing; another would be to merge it into the grey bar at the top, probably hiding less-used features like delete and protect in the toolbox to keep things minimal.

That's really my only complaint with the mockup. The new layout raises other considerations, such as how the ToC can be reached for editing and where page-specific ToCs will go, but the advantages of the new layout outweigh these issues.
Garrett

Postby E123Wario54 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:37 pm

I've just noticed that the header navs for a stage 4 guide and stage 1, 2, 3, and 5 guides are different. [For the stage 4 guides] The text is smaller, the background is white, the header nav itself is smaller, and all that's shown is the title of the game--no table of contents or walkthrough links. Why does the header nav for stage 4 guides look like that?

EDIT: Okay, now I'm seeing some stage 4 guides don't have the weird header nav, but some other lower level guides do. I'm confused. =/
E123Wario54

Postby Moydow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Those sound like one-page guides. If you go to the edit page, does the Header Nav have a onepage=true parameter? If so, that would explain it.
Moydow
Moydow

Postby Moydow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Also, I've never really been a fan of the 'new' editor. I'm used to the current editor, and often find it easier than going through several popout boxes. Will there be an option, allowing users to choose which they want to use?
Moydow
Moydow

Postby Garrett » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:08 am

Moydow wrote:I've never really been a fan of the 'new' editor ... Will there be an option, allowing users to choose which they want to use?

Both editors are available in the current Wikipedia beta version; if this is the case in the final version you will be able to choose the one you want on StrategyWiki in the same manner.
Garrett

Postby E123Wario54 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:52 pm

That makes sense, but shouldn't it look bigger and blue like the other header navs?
E123Wario54

Postby Moydow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm

If I remember correctly, all Header Navs were small and white, but the style of the multi-page guide HN was updated recently. Maybe the style of the one-page guide HN wasn't changed with it.
Moydow
Moydow

Postby E123Wario54 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:10 pm

That's what I'm thinking. Shouldn't it be changed with the rest?

EDIT: Okay, it's fixed. :)
Last edited by E123Wario54 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E123Wario54

Next

Return to Archived Community Issues