Quantcast

Blast from the past

Blast from the past

Postby Game_Master » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:08 am

Pretty shocked this place is still a thing. Well, aside from being dead.

I remember joining DSMeet and being apart of the journalism staff. It spurred me to play test the Wii before it launched, and I wrote a decent sized article about the experience, almost exactly ten years ago. I remember the time DSmeet showed up in a prominent Nintendo magazine in the UK for its Mario Kart painting tool, and I remember the interview with the 'Nintendo 64 Kid'. I remember talking to AltF4, who I looked up to at the time, and after talking with him discovering he animated the infamous 'Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny', working on it with Neil Cicirega, aka LemonDemon - and it made me have even way more respect for him.

I remember going to the computer room in high school during lunch and browsing DSMeet and other gaming sites, always trying to find a new story to report on. I remember the huge, hilarious and exciting ARG the admins created to hype up ABXY before it launched, and I remember how ABXY was, in echelon's vision, to become a major competitor to sites like IGN and GameSpot. I knew it was a goal realistically too big, but it was a nice daydream to have at the time.

My post count kind of reflects how I essentially abandoned ABXY not long after its creation; It was just such a different direction from DSMeet that it ultimately fractured the community and failed to draw in new members as GameFAQs was the number one site to go to for discussion, and people lost interest over the years.

I had a lot of good times here. I'm not sure what spurred me to come back to post this, but I'm glad I did. This place brought me countless hours of fun back in high school. It's sad that it faded away like it did, but I'll always have a tiny little place in my heart for DSMeet.
Game_Master

Re: Blast from the past

Postby Megas » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Probably no point in me posting this on a dead site, especially since this post a month old now, but I feel ya man. So many fond memories of DSmeet and Abxy.
I was some obnoxious 11 year old back then, who people probably secretly hated lmao. (If anyone even remembers me, that is) I mean, I tried to post and create things but I feel like I tried to force myself into conversations all the time lol.
I can't believe I even remembered my account info to be completely honest, this was actually the first account I ever created on a website, It's really weird to think about.
Megas

Postby Stryker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Holy shit this is weird. I joined DSmeet when I was...12? Now I'm 22 and in college. Well I don't really have anything to add, just randomly remembered this site when I was making a signature for a car forum. Hello to anyone else who visits and sees this
Stryker

Postby ness9411 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:08 am

Man, remembering this forum and lurking through old posts on here really makes me miss DSMeet and just internet culture in general from back then. It's a shame the site died so sadly when it tried to transition to something bigger.
ness9411

Postby Rhonlore » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Definitely still good to check in once and a while. I still regularly play my 3ds!
Rhonlore

Return to General Discussion